Monday, 1 August 2011

Day 20: Song Completed

Yep, I disappeared again. I'll do that. I'm wacky. Still, I've finished a song. I haven't finished recording it but it's completely written. It weighs in at about 4:10 and it's called Lethargy.

These are the lyrics:



So tired of this lethargy sapping off my energies
My soul left cleft and bereft of heft
By this long-term, slow burn personal catastrophe
Permeating my debilitating psychological anatomy



Each day, I wake a little slower
Remove my tired eyes from the night’s demise
With a guise characterised less by a gleam than by a glower
The morning shower - a dour exercise in dousing the sighs from a soul retired from the race outside for power
For accomplishment,
For bliss, cheer and merriment
For the various accoutrements of personal success we each strive to make permanent on a daily basis
The assorted vibrant lively filaments in which I have no personal investment
I’m tired of it.

[Chopped-up Refrain]


It’s a metaphysical exhaustion
Emotion’s distortions inflicting a torsion on a soul’s portion
A fraction of some faceless phantasm causing an undertow
Miasma of blandness forcing the whole mind-body-soul machine to slow
A useless artist, I’m rendered retarded, your own personal martyr in the market for pathos
While deep in the ghost of ambition’s repose
Weak shades of outrages faded glow:
What is this hapless existence? This disgustingly flaccid and placid indifference?
You know damn well you’re better than this.

[Chopped-up Refrain Extended]

And I’m convinced - a culture such as this breeds missed opportunities
And what puts the fear in me is the possibility that this lack of energy isn’t felt just by me but a whole damn country of men and women fighting unsuccessfully on their knees to bypass these toxic beliefs filling their subconsciouses with feelings of worthlessness robbing their souls of breath, bludgeoning them to death - and no-one’s going to stop it.



So tired of this lethargy sapping off my energies
My soul left cleft and bereft of heft

By this long-term, slow burn personal catastrophe
Permeating my debilitating psychological anatomy

[Chopped-up Refrain Extended]

--

I'm a bit concerned the flow in the Middle 8 is a bit pedestrian but I really like it. I've also been listening to a lot of different hip hop artists and their rhymes are just as simple if not simpler. I'm starting to ask the same questions of rapping that I was asking of beats. I think this might be a good thing, though. I haven't thought about rapping anywhere near as much as beats so I need to refine my perspectives.

I also wrote some more lyrics on the weekend but I'm a bit unsure of them. The song is ideally going to be called Requisite Idiot but I'm kind of debating how to express the ideas I want to in the song.  
      

No comments:

Post a Comment