Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Day 28: Song 2 FINALLY done

Yep, Requisite Idiot is finally complete. Structure, lyrics, all done. I'm currently going through that thing where I finish something and then immediately regret everything about it but I'm hoping it will pass. The hook is kind of weird but I couldn't really come up with anything else. I have decided, though, that the structure of the next song should be simpler. I thought Requisite Idiot was actually simple but, listening back to it, it's quite wild - veers between dubstep, grime, afrobeat, progressive house and all sorts of weird shit. Still, every song is a lesson (and I still crammed it into about 4:30, so I'm not doing toooooo badly).

Here are the lyrics. Feedback is appreciated.

Ultimately, I could be considered an optimist
If they persist in defiance of evidence, I'll readily dismiss such beliefs as frivolous
But, it must be said, faith’s unique brand of intellect is deserving of respect-
Without bias, look at the populace - what do you see?
The bulbous sculptures of a suicidal society shaped by depression, alcohol and bigotry.
Our soaring souls chokered by a broken culture of toxicity
And it's times like these you can see a desperate need for some brief wisp of naivety

What we need is…
A requisite idiot.

You see, this world is full of ire;
Hopeful words and verdicts murdered by citizens committed to keeping cynicism’s quiet sighs alive
Often, I find I’m similarly resigned but I remind myself of the prior fights
Driven through dumb beliefs - through which we have actually won reprieves.
Who would have believed we could deal with apartheid, give indigenous rights, allow women to live independent lives?
I appreciate the question why – this isn’t about blind faith in some kind of messiah
The beliefs I’m trying to breathe into these words aren’t about Jesus or bible verses
It’s about ridding ourselves of this cursed conviction that the power of our people is some superstition
And wishing that politics and religion hadn’t gone and killed optimism
For the people I love
And the world that we live in.

What we need is…
A requisite idiot.

Obviously, I’m not actually for stupidity
I think we’ve all seen enough of it as it is
But I do think we genuinely collectively need to dismiss this suspicion and prejudice we seem to possess in regards to our vested ability to change our society - to improve individually.
Yes, people are lazy, greedy and conceited – but that doesn’t mean we have to be.
I’ll admit these are the clichéd convictions of a youth unproven by a life unrestricted. I’ll even concede they’re largely fiction - healthy scepticism is practically my religion.
But within the limits of my cynicism still sits an uncomfortable truism dictating that greatness comes not just through grand statements but often wilful, ignorant idealism.

Humanity at its core has rarely been more than a relentless downpour of abhorrent behaviour – a torrential storm of lust, violence and hatred raging unabated as our blood’s wasted. Our sole saving grace has been those idiots with faith to look at our mistakes and say “this same shame will not be delivered again”. I just hope one day I can make a similar claim.

What we need is…
A requisite idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment