So, today I went for a run (as I do most days). While running, I pretty much rounded out the lyrical concepts for the five songs I need to get done by September 3. I already have Lethargy and Requisite Idiot. The remaining three will be devoted to:
1) the racial politics of a white Australian making hip hop [because it's a question too often asked and unanswered]
2) the contrasting atmosphere of dread surrounding the cold war and the current economic climate [I once had a conversation with Richard Kingsmill about how in 1980s, everyone thought they could die at any moment - but I think dying instantly is preferrable to the kind of gradual disintegration our generation is looking forward to]
3) Australian Small Town Male Syndrome [I grew up in a small town and a small city and, while I value those experiences, I know what it can do to people. I found myself thinking lately about what's happened to my graduating class in the years since I graduated - one is in jail for murder, another is dead of suicide, one became a major drug dealer - and I just felt really saddened by it all. I know people get stuck in these situations and I don't think people really grasp that yet.]
In addition to that, I worked all day yesterday on refining tracks with a friend of mine who DJs under the name Sebbu. Taught me a lot about rhythm and together we worked on a beat (which I subsequently dismantled and re-sequenced all today). Still, we appear to be broadly on target. Here's hoping.
No comments:
Post a Comment