Okay, shit is progressing. Very gradually. I still have that crazy groove but now I have some lyrics. It's weird, though. For one thing, I find I'm scared of actually expressing sentiments lyrically that I've spoken of countless times in conversation (and in print). More practically, though - rapping at 130BPM is nuts. I was informed by a friend that the only Australasian rapper he can think of who pulled it off was Scribe (I am pretty sure however that there's at least one song by the Optimen at that speed). I've got a flow going but it's quite tricky and I suspect it's a little fractured. You kind of have to usher words ahead and behind of beats. I'm kind of proud of the rhythm of the first verse but I also wish it flowed a little better. Standard contradictory impulses, though.
Here are the lyrics:
Ultimately, I could be considered an optimist
If they persist in defiance of evidence, I'll readily dismiss such beliefs as frivolous
But, it must be said, faith’s unique brand of intellect is deserving of respect-
Without bias, look at the populace - what do you see?
The bulbous sculptures of a suicidal society shaped by depression, alcohol and bigotry.
Our soaring souls chokered by a broken culture of toxicity
And it's times like these you realise the desperate need for a little bit of idiotic naivety
Too pretentious? Fuck, I don't know. I've been trying since Sunday to capture these ideas and this is the closest I've got.
Oh yeah, I may be collaborating with some cats soon. That'd be cool.
(Not actual cats - other musicians).
No comments:
Post a Comment