Okay, I haven't finished the song. Dammit. Getting there, though. I wrote a killer second verse today. Probably my favourite piece of writing I've done since the first blast of Lethargy. See below.
You see, this world is full of ire;
Hopeful words and verdicts murdered by citizens committed to keeping cynicism’s quiet sighs alive
Often, I find I’m similarly resigned but I remind myself of the prior fights
defined and driven through dumb beliefs - through which we have actually won reprieves.
Who would have believed we could deal with apartheid, give indigenous rights, allow women to live independent lives?
I appreciate the question why – this isn’t about blind faith in some kind of messiah
The beliefs I’m trying to breathe into these words aren’t about Jesus or bible verses
It’s about ridding ourselves of this cursed conviction that the power of our people is some superstition
Wishing that politics and religion hadn’t gone and killed optimism
For the people I love
For the world that we live in.
Got an idea for the next song, too. Hoping to start work on it tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment