Thursday, 28 July 2011

Day 16: A Song??

Well. Fuck. It would appear that I've sketched out my first song. Been sitting in my lounge room rapping all evening. Kind of dumbfounded by the whole thing, really. Can't believe something is finally coming together. And I'm not completely embarrassed by it!

The song is called Lethargy. It's about a general laziness of spirit I've been experiencing lately. I'd describe it as being about depression except I don't have depression. I just have a crap attention span. It's quite a fucking emo song, really, but I feel it's honest and vaguely interesting. I like it, anyway.

I'll only be uploading the instrumental version of what I've got so far but I'll post the lyrics here as well. I'm just not quite comfortable recording them yet. I'm kind of wary that the flow of the second verse is a bit generic and the flow of the first not generic enough. Yes, I know, I'm neurotic.

As for the song itself, it still needs a hook, a middle 8 and, I suspect, a few more layers in the production but the bones of the song are there. That shocks me.

(Oh, and it's not mixed, obviously).

Music:

Lethargy Instrumental MP3 by M. O'Neill

Lyrics:

Each day, I wake a little slower
Remove my tired eyes from the night’s demise
With a guise characterised less by a gleam than by a glower
The morning shower - a dour exercise in dousing the sighs from a soul retired from the race outside for power
For accomplishment,
For bliss, cheer and merriment
For the various accoutrements of personal success we each strive to make permanent on a daily basis
The assorted vibrant lively filaments in which I have no personal investment
I’m tired of it.

It’s a metaphysical exhaustion
Emotion’s distortions inflicting a torsion on a soul’s portion
A fraction of some faithless phantasm causing an undertow
Miasma of blandness forcing the whole mind-body-soul machine to slow
A useless artist, I’m rendered retarded, your own personal martyr in the market for pathos
While somewhere in the ghost of ambition’s repose
The shade of a faded outrage glows:
What is this hapless existence? This disgustingly flaccid and placid indifference?
You know damn well you’re better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment