Sunday, 17 July 2011

Day 7: (Still) Sick Beats

Still dogged by the flu (I despise illness so much - you have no idea) but I managed to come up with one beat today. Things didn't come as easily today but I think that's largely because I was barely conscious when I was writing.

Here's the beat, anyway:

1. Total Synthesis
Total Synthesis MP3 by M. O'Neill

Lots of personal experimentation in this one. It's at 120BPM, which is quite fast for hip hop, but that's just the beginning. There's also the fact that it's comprised entirely of explicitly electronic sounds (something I've been quite wary of doing since beginning this endeavour) and the lack of ninety per cent of my stylistic crutches. There's no snare, handclaps or typical hi-hats. After yesterday's generic beat, I wanted to try and write something really different that still had a discernible groove. I'm quite proud of it.

I should point out, though, that it's in severe need of EQing. I never did mention that none of these beats have been mixed as such but they haven't. I'm leaving the mixing process until last. There are simply too many layers to deal with before that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment