Monday, 18 July 2011

Day 8: Old Habits Reappear

Okay, illness banished. This beatmaking lark is getting difficult again, though. I'm starting to recognise all my separate little tricks and habits and, as a result, my beats are starting to sound a little too similar. I'm trying to push myself but I don't want to lose touch with simply sounding good. I just spent far too long on a beat. It actually kind of split into a million different variations and now I have no idea which one to pick. I've narrowed it down to two - the simplest version and the most complicated one. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the most complicated one but there's something about the timing of the general phrase that makes it really unique to me. I don't know. I'll probably go with the complicated one. You can take your pick if you like.

1. Burn a Little Cleaner (Simple Version)
Burn a Little Cleaner MP3 by M. O'Neill

Written in about five minutes. Has a weird swing to it that I've always wanted but never quite figured out how to get without dequantising or triplet rhythms. It used to have toms but it ended up sounding too similar to two of my other beats. I tried to find a way to differentiate it but it just got weirder and weirder. See:

2. All The Swingle Ladies (Complicated Version)
All the Swingle Ladies MP3 by M. O'Neill

I was quite frustrated with this but, listening to it now, I find I prefer it. Far more interesting. Also in the classic Big Beat BPM of 128BPM.

If anyone can come up with a compelling reason why the first one is better, let me know. If not, let's just presume I'll go with the second.

That is if I don't just throw it out tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment