Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Day 9: Blitzkrieg/Failure

Today I tried to finish the run of ten beats. I failed. I did come up with enough beats (...for the record, the official tally of beats programmed so far stands at 25...) but I rushed the last two and they didn't really stand up. The two before I'm uneasy about but I think the only real problem I have with them is mixing. Otherwise they stand up well to the others I've chosen. I've decided to axe the first three except for Wiley, by the way. The first two just seemed like sketches of ideas I did better later on.

I don't know. Today the fear sets in again. I have a feeling this would all be easier if I didn't have a vision in my head as to what I wanted to do. This isn't just about being decent at hip hop. It's about expressing this sound I've had in my head for years. I really want to get it right this time. Maybe I'm being naive. I feel like I'm close but, at the same time, I feel I've been close before. Oh well. We press on.

Beats:

Those that made the cut -

Walking Tall MP3 by M. O'Neill

Tripping On Glitch MP3 by M. O'Neill

I think I'm better writing electronic/dance rhythm parts than I am 'live' ones. It could also be my lack of appropriate plug-ins. These two beats made me quite optimistic about this process. I feel I could keep exploring and refining beats for years. I have so much to learn. At the same time, while I really feel these beats won't take shape without appropriate mixing, I am quite proud of these ones.

Those that did not make the cut:

Africa Swing MP3 by M. O'Neill

Near Enough MP3 by M. O'Neill

The first simply doesn't feel right. As I said, I suspect my skill lies in programming electronic/dance patterns as opposed to live percussive ones. The second was just laziness. I feel the general noisy lurch of it, though, is something to learn from.

I don't know. Like I said - we press on. Thoughts anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment